The college enjoys extensive sporting facilities including a large sports hall, fitness centre, 5 a side AstroTurf, multi-use games area, playing field, outdoor cricket nets and table tennis tables. The sports department consists of 6 staff supplemented by a range of highly qualified coaches all of whom are contributing to the overall aims of the department:
- To maintain and develop a broad base of participation in sport and physical activity
- To extend and widen access to experiences of competition through sport
- To extend and widen access to experiences of leadership and volunteering through sport and coach education
- To provide opportunities to participate in activities which promote health and fitness
- To develop partnerships with National Governing Bodies and sports organisations who share our objectives, to enhance provision and create structured pathways into sports participation within a community setting
What does this mean for students?
You will benefit from exceptionally rich provision of extra-curricular sports activities…
Through the diverse range of activities that we offer we encourage and expect you to get involved in our sports programme. Our weekly timetable of activities combines more traditional sports such as football, basketball and badminton with new and exciting initiatives such as MMA and Zumba. You have the opportunity to participate at a level suited to your own abilities in recreational, developmental and competitive opportunities.
A range of competitive opportunities are provided for you from inter-house leagues and tournaments to local friendly matches to National Knockout Cups. There are extensive opportunities for competition specifically in our 6 Priority Sports, for example:
- Athletics (Waltham Forest Urban Athletics League)
- Badminton (AoC National Knockout Cup)
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball (AoC London League, Division 1 and AoC National Knockout Cup)
- Cricket (UEL FE Indoor League, Essex Cup, London Cup & AoC East London League)
- Men’s Football (Waltham Forest League, Essex League Division 3, AoC National Knockout Cup, London Cup)
- Women’s Football (London FA Futsal Tournaments)
- Volleyball (AoC London League, AoC Knockout Cup)
You will be provided with a range of opportunities to develop your leadership and employability skills through our Sports Ambassador and Sports Activator programmes. We’ll help you to gain experience, skills and qualifications through your involvement in sports leadership.
Health and Fitness
The LSC Fitness Centre is a new facility which provides all of the equipment required for a balanced workout, with a range of cardiovascular and resistance machines, and access to a selection of free weights. It is available for you to use, for free, throughout the college day once you have completed your induction. Our staff members are extremely knowledgeable and willing to advise you on how to achieve specific health and fitness goals.
We work in partnership with a number of different sporting bodies and organisations to ensure that the experiences you receive are of the highest quality. We hope that through your positive experiences of sport in college you will be enthused to continue to play sport long after you have left. We therefore create structured pathways for you to participate within sports clubs and settings within our local community.
LSC Basketball Academy
The newly established LSC Basketball Academy provides an opportunity for male students who excel in Basketball to benefit from an elite programme of training and support. Led by Head Coach, David Lavinier, and Manager of National League team Eastside Eagles, Academy players receive the following:
- Six hours of professional basketball training each week, including individualised, small group and squad sessions
- Strength & conditioning and nutritional support and guidance
- Access to training facilities for open floor training and individual fitness sessions
For further information or to enquire about your eligibility for the LSC Basketball Academy, please contact Amy Rogers: firstname.lastname@example.org