What is the course about?
This course gives students the opportunity to gain knowledge and understanding of the health and social care sector. The course leads to Higher Education. In recent years, our students have progressed on to various degree courses such as Midwifery, Nursing (including Adult, Child and Mental Health), Social Work, Radiography, Public Health and Psychology. This is an exciting course which will give students unique opportunites to really make a difference and be a part of the next generation of Health and Social Care professionals.
If you specifically want to work with children, please visit our Early Years Department.
Exam board: Edexcel.
Duration of course: 2 years. (Equivalent to 3 A Levels) This is a fully timetabled course.
What units/topics will be studied?
- Values and Planning in Health and Social Care
- Psychological Perspectives
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Dementia Care
- Caring for People with Additional Needs
- Research Methodology
- Safeguarding and Supporting Adults
- Health Promotion
- Nutrition in Health and Social Care
What can I do to prepare myself to study this subject?
- Read BTEC Level 2 and 3 Health and Social Care course textbooks
- Visit NHS Choices websites
- Read articles on the Community Care online journal
- Read articles in the Guardian’s newspaper Society section
- Volunteer in a Statutory Health and Social Care setting
- Mentor an individual
Where can this lead me?
- Higher Education – Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work, Teaching, Psychology, Probation Service.
- Employment in the Health and Social Care sector.
What are the enrichment opportunities as part of this subject?
- Work experience placements in the Health and Social Care sector
- Team building activities
- Guest speakers
- Visits to HE institutions
- Health Screening Programme
- Part of the Health four
- Industry Week
5A*- C, C/5 - English Language, C/5 - Maths
C/5 - English Language,
C/5 - Maths